Google Display Tutorial
Google Display Tutorial
Google display advertising is an advertising service that is offered by Google that involves images and keywords. When someone clicks on any of these images on the ad, they are directed to the advertiser’s website. The payment to Google is done each time a person clicks on these ads.
Google Adwords vs Google Display Advertising
Google adwords is an advertising service by Google that is for businesses that want to advertise their businesses on Google’s advertising network. Adwords involves keywords, and when a person types a keyword that is related the business being advertised, the ads of these businesses appear.
When one clicks on these ads, they are directed to the website of the businesses being advertised, and payment to Google is done when these ads are clicked on. This is a service that is known as pay-per-click.
Google display advertising is differentiated from basic adwords through the images that are seen while advertising through display advertising. In adwords, the names and products that are offered by a business are shown in the ad, while in display advertising, an image is instead displayed on the ad.
For example, if you are advertising a resort, in the ad, there can be a display of a picture one of the guest rooms in the resort. Google display advertising garners quite an amount of traffic for your website as images are more eye-catching than just basic words.
Why Display Advertising?
There are a number of advantages that are associated with display advertising. They are:
- If the aim of your advertisement is brand awareness as opposed to conversion, display advertising is a useful method.
- This is an effective advertising tool if your businesses attraction is physical. An example is if your business sells mobile phones, an image of the phone is likely to be more attractive than the name of the phone.
Types of Google Display Advertising
- Automatic Placements
This is seen where you allow Google do determine where your ads go. Keywords are used in conjunction with display advertising as using keywords, the topic is narrowed down. Google then uses these keywords and topics to place your ads.
- Managed Placement
Instead of allowing Google the determination of where your ads go, you may decide this on your own. Using this method, you pick the exact site that you want your ads go. This method is again aided by keywords, which help narrow the target sites.
With managed placements, you have to ensure that the keywords and sites you have chosen work together to increase traffic for your business.
- Automatic and Managed Placements
This is advantageous for ones who are just starting on display advertisement. The sites that you add on managed placement should be closely related to the keywords used under managed placements.
- Demographic Placement
There are a number of keywords that are typical of a certain age group. If you have a particular demographic group in mind, say, anyone between 25 years and 40 years, ensure that the keywords you use are related to the age group.
This keyword should direct the person clicking on the ad to the product. Demographic placement is used where the product being advertised is for a specific age groups as opposed to the whole population.
Structuring a Display Advertisement Campaign
Structuring a display campaign is all dependent on the goal that you have in mind. It is advised that display campaigns should be used specifically for awareness as opposed to conversion. This helps with your budgeting as you spend less on just the display campaign.
How to Optimize your Display Campaign
Optimizing your display advertising can be done by the use of the automatic placement reports. These reports tell you where the advertisement is working and where it is not.
After receiving this report you are able to optimize your campaign using the following methods:
- Review the extent of the audience that you intend the advertisement for, depending on your budget.
- Evaluate the performance of the advertisement depending on geographic region. This way, he excludes the areas that are performing poorly.
- Removing any irrelevant audiences. Their irrelevance may be due to their age or their location.
- Exclude any irrelevant audiences.
- You may have lost some impression due to rank. Review this impression then bid for a better ranking.
- Include your social media on the social extensions.
- Check out the performance of your ads according to time. Review this and ensure to optimize the number of people who see your ads.
- Review the sites that your ads are on. Optimize on the sites with more clicks and add the poorly performing sites on the negative placement in your automatic placement campaign.
In summary, advertisement by Google can be done in either of two ways. It can be done through adwords and through display advertisement. Display advertisement is relevant for businesses that have their major attraction in their appearance, like resorts and hotels.
This is a service that should be used for awareness of brand as opposed to conversion. If the major aim of your business is to optimize on conversion, search is a better option as compared to display advertising.