25 Tips on what it takes to be an Ethical Hacker
25 Tips on what it takes to be an Ethical Hacker
While hacking can seem to be fun and allows one to do things not many other people can do on the internet and other networks, it takes more for one to be an ethical hacker. Ethical hacking is basically White Hat hacking. A white hat hacker uses his or her skills for good and not to commit cybercrime. It basically involves ensuring that established networks in different environments are safe and not vulnerable to cyber-attacks. Here are some 25 skills on how to get started and be an ethical hacker.
1. The first step is to know exactly what you want in the field of hacking. Know the advantages and the disadvantages of the white hat hackers, black hat hackers, and gray hat hackers. If you are in for just a few seconds of glory, then you might just earn yourself a ticket to prison.
2. Know the basic requirements for an ethical hacker. Try figuring out the areas you will need to put the most effort so as to advance in the field.
3. Have excellent basic computer skills. Much of the hacking revolves around computers and the internet. Excellence in basic computer skills in not a negotiable option.
4. It, also, help to learn the basics of networking. The more you master this knowledge, the better your chances of excelling in the field.
5. Hacking is more of an art. Hence, one needs to be a good communicator and strong mentally. You also have to have a high bar when it comes to your social relations.
6. Develop strong technical and mental skills. While the work of a White Hat hacker is legal and aimed for good, they need to think like a Black Hat hacker so as to ensure the systems are shielded. This should not corrupt your thinking.
7. Take a professional course to help you gain the required knowledge
8. Start with the basics and progress onwards. The best way to succeed in any field is by mastering the basics. Do not jump into the more complex and complicated stuff before you know the basics.
9. Earn your certification. You do not need a degree, though. You can progress as you gain more experience and certification. With the progress you can, also, land even bigger jobs.
10. As you progress, put some effort to earn security certification. These include CISSP, TICSA, and Security+, and can earn you the position of being in charge of information security.
11. Experiment on your own with software and hardware at your disposal and learn how to handle the various situations you might face.
12. Stay legal at all times. That is the whole point of ethical hacking; ensuring that you use your hacking skills to do good and not for criminal purposes. Engaging in illegal hacking can end your career sooner than you might think.
13. Seek job opportunities that require and promote ethical hacking. Some of the greatest and well-paying employers are financial institutions, government organizations, private companies, and military establishments.
14. Decide on the field you would want to work in; hardware or software. It is wise not to specialize on both. Specializing in one helps you be more excellent in your working and makes it even easier for you to advance in the field.
15. Hacking requires some knowledge in programming; though not as much as a software developer. Learning these codes will help you know how to write the hacking codes and creating firewalls and other security features.
16. Also, learn and get comfortable with the Linux operating system as this knowledge is really important when you are getting started.
17. You should, also, strive to read on your own and try to learn new skills and ways you can improve yourself. Refine your focus.
18. Keep in touch with the hacker community and get to share and learn new ideas and other technical information.
19. Try to find more useful resources in books and the internet that give more insight on how to be an excellent ethical hacker. If you are a beginner, simple how-to videos are available online for free.
20. Develop a curious personality. Always try to figure out ways you can create, better, and secure systems and how to find holes in systems. A less curious person is not likely to succeed as a hacker.
21. Creative thinkers make good ethical workers. You should be able to think of various creative approaches you can take to do the same hack.
22. Try to gain a persistent personality. Many times you are going to fail, and that is part of the job. If you are a quitter, then you just might last only a minute in this career.
23. Also, be a problem-solver and think analytically when faced with obstacles. This skill comes with practice.
24. Be generally disciplined and self-driven. The whole point of heading in the White Hat hacking direction and not the others is to use your hacking skills for good. If you are not disciplined enough, you might be tempted to misuse your skills.
25. Always have an open mind and be welcoming to new ideas. Do not be arrogant and act like you know it all. It is by sharing and listening that we learn. That one skill you might learn may be what takes you to the next level in your career.